Identity theft is happening all around us. Identity thiefs will actually go through your trash and gatehr enough information to steal your identity. Protect yourself by making sure that you safely destroy personal documents rather than throwing them in the trash.
TO help you protect yourself, REMAX On The Charles is holding a free Shredding Day on Saturday, April 13th from 10 am and 1 pm, at 131 Lexington St, Waltham.
Generally, you should keep your last three years of tax documents, but check with your accountant first.
What documents shredding should you do?
The easy answer – anything that has a signature, account number, social security number, or medical or legal information (plus credit offers).
The complete answer – see below.
- Address labels from junk mail and magazines
- ATM receipts
- Bank statements
- Birth certificate copies
- Canceled and voided checks
- Credit and charge card bills, carbon copies, summaries and receipts
- Credit reports and histories
- Documents containing maiden name (used by credit card companies for security reasons)
- Documents containing names, addresses, phone numbers or e-mail addresses
- Documents relating to investments
- Documents containing passwords or PIN numbers
- Driver’s licenses or items with a driver’s license number
- Employee pay stubs
- Employment records
- Expired passports and visas
- Unlaminated identification cards (college IDs, state IDs, employee ID badges, military IDs)
- Legal documents
- Investment, stock and property transactions
- Items with a signature (leases, contracts, letters)
- Luggage tags
- Medical and dental records
- Papers with a Social Security number
- Pre-approved credit card applications
- Receipts with checking account numbers
- Report cards
- Resumés or curriculum vitae
- Tax forms
- Travel itineraries
- Used airline tickets
- Utility bills (telephone, gas, electric, water, cable TV, Internet)
So, given this is tax season, now is the perfect time to go through and safely dispose of old documents and paperwork.
This is open to the public! It’s simple. Stop by, check in and watch your documents safely shredded. Enjoy refreshments while you wait or ask about the real estate market. Our agents are on hand to answer any questions.
For more information call 781-899-2822.